Your source for the best in Anaheim Ducks News, Stories, Events, Pictures and Video.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Scott Niedermayer Retirement Watch - 9/6, The agony continues

Well, the agony continues. The press conference is over and he stated that he has not made up his mind.. So the wait continues. Here is the latest from the Ducks website.

Scott Niedermayer spoke to reporters for 30 minutes today at the Ducks practice facility, Anaheim ICE, confirming what he told reporters yesterday: that he is still undecided on retirement, but he will definitely be late to training camp should he decide to return. Ducks training camp starts next Tuesday, Sept. 11.

"I wish I had a decision right now," said Niedermayer, clad in a green polo shirt with one of his young sons sitting a few feet away. "My preference would be to know right now and to start and be ready to go with the rest of the guys. It's not looking like that might happen, so we go to Plan B and the second best option, which is to come to a decision as quickly as possible. I don't want to drag this out any longer than I have to. The team has enough to worry about.

"It’s unfortunate that the decision has taken this long for me to make. I guess it’s definitely become harder than I envisioned. The last thing I want is to be a distraction to the team. Brian has been very good in allowing me the time. I haven’t been asked to make it official. Hopefully, once things get rolling, I’ll get a better feeling if I want to be on the ice or not."

Audio

NIEDERMAYER AUDIO (MP3s)
Part 1 (8:36)
Part 2 (8:32)
Part 3 (7:26)
Part 4 (1:37)

Here is the link to the orignal post - Link

TSN has their take - Link

With four Stanley Cups, an Olympic gold medal, a Memorial Cup, the World Cup of Hockey title and gold at both the World and World Junior Championships, winning has been seemingly easy for Scott Niedermayer.

Making a decision on his playing career has not.

The Anaheim Ducks' captain met with the media on Thursday, saying he has not yet decided on retirement, and will definitely be late for training camp should he decide to return. The Ducks being training camp next Tuesday.

"I wish I had a decision right now," Niedermayer said Thursday.

Here is the CBC's account:

Anaheim Ducks captain Scott Niedermayer isn't ready to decide whether to hang up his skates.

Niedermayer, 34, hinted he might retire after he helped the Ducks defeat the Ottawa Senators to win the Stanley Cup in June.

He told reporters Thursday that he is still undecided on retirement and that he will definitely report late to Anaheim's training camp — which opens on Sept. 11 — should he return for a 15th NHL season.

"I wish I had a decision right now," Niedermayer said. "My preference would be to know right now and to start and be ready to go with the rest of the guys. It's not looking like that might happen, so we go to Plan B and the second best option, which is to come to a decision as quickly as possible.

Read the rest here - Link